Monday, October 14, 2013

The show has quite a Thai influence as it was mostly made during our first ten months living in Bangkok. We would go for a walk each day when it cooled down a bit and buy some durian fruit or a cold drink and sometimes a Thai vogue magazine, then sit outside with the other Thai mothers and their children in the park where I would practice my terrible Thai skills and learn about raising a child. Back at the apartment I started cutting up the Thai vogue magazines to make collages some of which have been recomposed for paintings. I imagine Thailand is a very different place now to 1948 when US entrepreneur Jim Thompson, set up a huge (cheesy) silk trade there. He went out to remote villages to find silk, while in 2013, I just flicked through magazines. The invite image is inspired by this kind of exchange.

No comments: